Winchester Business Improvement District (BID) operates within a defined geographical area, in which non-domestic ratepayers have voted to invest collectively in local improvements that are in addition to those that are already delivered by local statutory bodies.
Winchester BID has been in operation since 1 April 2008 and delivers services to local businesses through Winchester City Centre Partnership (WCCP), a not-for-profit organisation that has been in operation since 1997.
The BID collects an annual levy from 916 hereditaments, equating to 711 businesses, each of whom pay an annual levy derived from 1.5% of the rateable value of their premises. Every five years, businesses are able to vote to continue the BID for a subsequent term, based on a set of proposals. The person, registered company or organisation who is the ratepayer for non-domestic rates of a hereditament within the BID area as at the notice of ballot, is entitled to vote.
Each person entitled to vote in the BID ballot shall have one vote in respect of each hereditament in the geographical area of the BID on which non-domestic rates are payable. The ballot has to meet two tests. First, a simple majority of those voting must vote in favour. Second, the aggregate rateable value of the hereditaments of those voting in favour must exceed the aggregate rateable value of the hereditaments of those voting against.
In November 2017, 77.3% of voting businesses voted yes based on these proposals in the third ballot of Winchester BID. The third term commenced on 1 April 2018 and the next ballot will be in November 2022.
Winchester BID is committed to delivering a programme of initiatves to:
- Promote and position Winchester as a centre for creativity, culture and commerce;
- Manage and enhance the cityscape;
- Provide savings and support business growth;
- Influence Winchester’s future development to inspire positive change.
Winchester BID’s values:
- Approachable: Prepared to listen and understand;
- Knowledgeable: Being connected to make informed decisions;
- Change Making: Building partnerships to enable change and constantly improve;
- Transparent: Inclusive, open and honest.